Right now you’re saying Brussels Sprouts Salad really? What if you can find a way to have this super healthy recipe for this vegetable and love eating it? Let’s first talk about reasons why you want to think about this recipe and give it a try. Cruciferous vegetables offer better choices for DNA protection and are foods that provide protection again cancer.
Brussels Sprouts Salad And Protection Against Cancer
Brussels sprouts come packed with special cholesterol-lowering benefits when you steam them for cooking. I like cooking them for a better flavor too. This is one food that is a healthy recipe whether it’s cooked or not!
Sprouts have a particular fiber-related component that does a better job of binding together with bile acids in your digestive tract when they’ve been steamed. Their unique binding process makes it easier for bile acids to be expelled, and the outcome is a lowering of your cholesterol levels.
Brussels health benefits in the area of DNA protection in recent research showed they improve the stability of DNA inside of our white blood cells. These blood cells are what protect us from disease even cancer. Certain compounds in Brussels sprouts to block the activity of cancerous enzymes that occur in the body.
Cruciferous vegetables contain high amounts of glucosinolate. This is what gives mustard greens, Brussels sprouts, turnip greens, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, or broccoli their slightly bitter taste it gives you the best protection against cancer.
Let’s talk about your thyroid function. A current study, suggests that eating this vegetable can improve the function of this gland which can affect your energy, weight, and overall emotional health. Some cultures such as Germany eat a more cruciferous vegetable than American diets, and they have lower issues with Thyroid function and cancer.
Still not convinced? What if I can offer you an Amazing Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipe?
Amazing Brussels Sprouts Salad Recipe
I’m not a fan of Brussels Sprouts Salad so the idea of eating much of them isn’t appealing to me and many others. For me, I wanted a healthy recipe that has anti-cancer benefits. I’ve learned its all in the preparation and dressing! You can create a salad that others will ask for the recipe. It’s pretty simple, and this recipe is large enough to take to a BBQ or other summer party.
Because Brussels Sprouts Salad is great at other times of the year, keep this recipe handy all year long.
- 5 cups shaved Brussels sprouts washed and raw. You can do this with a handheld cheese shaver. Or you can steam them for 6-8 minutes to release the flavor and contrast with the apples.
- 1 apple (thinly sliced) I have tried tart apples and sweet apples depending on the time of the year. My favorite our crisp ones to offset the steamed sprouts.
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans.
- 3/4 cup pumpkin seeds or pomegranate seeds to add color.
- Other add in’s can be avocado bites, sliced grapes or try different nuts and seeds to your liking.
- 1/4 cup olive oil. Some clients have tried flavor infused olive oil, our favorite is Mango!
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- Decide to steam then shred or just shave the sprouts. If cooking place enough water in a pot that your steamer screen sits above the water. Bring to a boil with a lid on the pot. Reduce heat, add fresh sprouts [removed outer layer of loose leave, wash and dry] to pot. Steam for 6-8 minutes. Cool before shredding/shaving by placing in the refrigerator and cut when cold.
In a hurry, skip the steaming and shave the sprouts into a large bowl once cleaned. Add sliced apples, nuts and seeds.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.2. Decide to steam then shred or just shave the sprouts. If cooking place enough water in a pot that your steamer screen sits above the water. Bring to a boil with a lid on the pot. Reduce heat, add fresh sprout [removed outer layer of loose leave, wash and dry] to pot. Steam for 6-8 minutes. Cool before shredding/shaving by placing in the refrigerator and cut when cold.In a hurry, skip the steaming and shave the sprouts into a large bowl once cleaned.3. Thinly slice apple (leave the peel on) and combine all salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
4. Drizzle dressing over salad, and toss until everything is well mixed.
5. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to two days.
All images copyrights Dreamstime 2016
Some days are just not warm enough to grill and too nice to turn on the oven. That’s a day our home choices to make Creamy Chicken Marsala. This is one of my favorite ways to fix chicken which can often be dry and tasteless. We’ve lightened it up a bit from the tradition Marsala recipe. “Marsala” is a type of wine often thought to be strong, dark wine drank with sweet dishes. It is used in sauces or desserts. This recipe is perfect for four.
Creamy Chicken Marsala
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup if finely diced white or yellow onion
- 5 cups of sliced mushroom our pick is White buttons. For an intense flavor, you can select creminis which are actually immature Portobello
- 4 organic skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Thinly slice the breasts in half or you can pound them with a meat tenderizer.
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- 3 TBP of olive oil. If you have an Evo store near We enjoy the Garlic or Italian infused oil.
- ½ cup of Marsala wine
- ½ cup of low -fat chicken broth
- 1 cup of half and half milk
- 1 Tsp of ground mustard
- Fresh chopped Parsley
- Warm ½ the oil in a large skillet carefully.
- Place the chicken breasts gently into the skillet lightly sprinkling with salt and pepper.
- Cook until lightly brown on both sides turning as needed to cook throughout. Remove the Chicken to your serving platter or tray.
- In the same skillet gently warm the rest of the olive oil. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic for 2-3 minutes until the onions and mushroom are slightly translucent.
- Add the Marsala wine bringing to a light boil. This will remove the alcohol and leave the flavor.
- Add in chicken broth, half and half milk, and mustard spice. Bring to a slow simmer and allow the sauce to thicken. This takes about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the chicken breasts to heat another 2-3 minutes
- Remove meat to a serving dish, pour the sauce over and sprinkle with parsley. Serve!
Variation For Chicken Tarragon Recipe
There are many ways to prepare a Creamy Chicken Marsala. Because the original calls for heavy cream, this is a lighter version. A variation of this dish is named Creamy Chicken Tarragon.
Just use a white wine and add to the recipe ½ to 1 TBP of crushed Tarragon. If you want to make Chicken Tarragon a much lighter version remove the half and half and increase the broth a ¼ cup. The sauce will be thin and can be thickened. Add ¼ tsp of arrowroot mixed with the cold wine or broth.
We’d love to hear your alternatives and ideas on this famous recipe. Don’t be shy please share your Creamy Chicken Marsala recipe below.
Interested in living healthy? Find out more by calling our offce. Call today!
images copyright 2016 Fotolia all rights reserved.