Some days are just not warm enough to grill and too nice to turn on the oven. That’s a day our home choices to make Creamy Chicken Marsala. This is one of my favorite ways to fix chicken which can often be dry and tasteless. We’ve lightened it up a bit from the tradition Marsala recipe. “Marsala” is a type of wine often thought to be strong, dark wine drank with sweet dishes. It is used in sauces or desserts. This recipe is perfect for four.
Creamy Chicken Marsala
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup if finely diced white or yellow onion
- 5 cups of sliced mushroom our pick is White buttons. For an intense flavor, you can select creminis which are actually immature Portobello
- 4 organic skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Thinly slice the breasts in half or you can pound them with a meat tenderizer.
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- 3 TBP of olive oil. If you have an Evo store near We enjoy the Garlic or Italian infused oil.
- ½ cup of Marsala wine
- ½ cup of low -fat chicken broth
- 1 cup of half and half milk
- 1 Tsp of ground mustard
- Fresh chopped Parsley
- Warm ½ the oil in a large skillet carefully.
- Place the chicken breasts gently into the skillet lightly sprinkling with salt and pepper.
- Cook until lightly brown on both sides turning as needed to cook throughout. Remove the Chicken to your serving platter or tray.
- In the same skillet gently warm the rest of the olive oil. Add onion, mushrooms, and garlic for 2-3 minutes until the onions and mushroom are slightly translucent.
- Add the Marsala wine bringing to a light boil. This will remove the alcohol and leave the flavor.
- Add in chicken broth, half and half milk, and mustard spice. Bring to a slow simmer and allow the sauce to thicken. This takes about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the chicken breasts to heat another 2-3 minutes
- Remove meat to a serving dish, pour the sauce over and sprinkle with parsley. Serve!
Variation For Chicken Tarragon Recipe
There are many ways to prepare a Creamy Chicken Marsala. Because the original calls for heavy cream, this is a lighter version. A variation of this dish is named Creamy Chicken Tarragon.
Just use a white wine and add to the recipe ½ to 1 TBP of crushed Tarragon. If you want to make Chicken Tarragon a much lighter version remove the half and half and increase the broth a ¼ cup. The sauce will be thin and can be thickened. Add ¼ tsp of arrowroot mixed with the cold wine or broth.
We’d love to hear your alternatives and ideas on this famous recipe. Don’t be shy please share your Creamy Chicken Marsala recipe below.
Interested in living healthy? Find out more by calling our offce. Call today!
images copyright 2016 Fotolia all rights reserved.
I love quiche do you? For years, I’ve looked for a simple recipe that can be made with or without a crust. This recipe fits the bill. Mini Lunchbox Quiches are good enough for your work lunch or for an appetizer for a small group.
Mini Lunchbox Quiches Easier Thank They Sound
This recipe is considered to be Medium in difficulty though I felt it was easy. It doesn’t take long to prepare less than 20 minutes. The bake time is also less than 20 minutes and it makes 12 mini quiches
What you need to make Mini Lunch-Box Quiches:
1 cup whole-wheat flour [I tried the Italian imported for a better flour]
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons (3⁄4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
1 1⁄2 cups milk [No non-dairy substitutes worked for me]
1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
1⁄3 cup grated cheese, such as cheddar, Monterey Jack, or Havarti
Optional: diced protein like bacon, beef, ham, or chicken. Thinly cut slices of spinach leaves, broccoli tops, or diced onions. The pieces must be tiny.
Twelve 5-inch parchment paper squares. These I found at the same specialty market I got the flour. You can cut parchment paper too.
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Line a muffin pan 5-inch parchment squares.
The crust which is optional in my opinion. I also made a crustless Paleo food. If you desire crust see below.*
- *In a medium bowl, blend the flour and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Stir in the melted butter until the flour is completely moistened and then set aside.
- In a large glass measuring cup whisk together the eggs, milk, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and pepper.
- *Put 1 tablespoon of the flour mixture in the bottom of each lined muffin cup. Push it down flat with your fingers so it covers the bottom from edge to edge.
- *Sprinkle the cheese evenly on top of the little crusts if using the flour and then carefully pour the egg mixture on top, filling the cups two-thirds full.
If not making a crust, lightly spray the liners with olive oil from a mister, sprinkle the cheese evenly over the oil, and then carefully pour the egg mixture on top, filling the cups two-thirds full.
- Drop in a few pieces of your optional protein or vegetables. You may have to use less egg if you add heavier or larger pieces. I recommend ½ full cups and 2-3 tiny tidbits of protein and vegetables. My favorite is a few bits of Turkey bacon and onions each.
- Bake until the eggs are set and lightly browned on top, 18 to 20 minutes. Eat warm, refrigerate for later in the week, or freeze for another day. Again these are great for an appetizer or a small brunch group.
One Recipe Many Quiches
You can add other spices like a Mexican blend and then top with Salsa when you serve them. Try bacon or chicken with onions or spinach and serve with Green Chili Sauce. We made some with crumbles of Italian sausage, used mozzarella cheese, and onions topping them with a marinara sauce. The ideas are endless.
Please share your favorites and ideas in our comments. Thank you!
All images copyrighted: Fotolia
One of my favorite foods is cinnamon and it goes so great with fruit. This recipes uses baked pears but you can also make it with apples. The cranberry apple syrup is naturally sweet. The point is home cooking is better than eating out. It can help you with weight loss too. When you make it at home you can not overload a recipe with foods that aren’t good for you. Also you can use higher quality ingredients for your dishes.
If you’re looking to still enjoy dessert but cut down on sugar, this recipe is perfect. It also is simple to make; this helps you do more home cooking. Eating out is costly and many people think it takes too much time to cook at home.
Home Cooking A Key To Successful Weight Loss
In 2008 looking at the scale I realized I need to lose weight. I was tired, had back pain, and I didn’t like the way I looked in my clothes. Of course, I knew better and decided to take my own advice when I talk about weight loss.
Start eating at home more. This meant I had to practice home cooking. My desire like many Americans, for sugar was out of control. Finding options for sugary desserts was a primary on the list of lifestyle changes I knew I needed to make.
This recipe was one of the first I started making. my husband likes it best with pears, and I love it with apples.
Baked Pears with Cranberry Apple Syrup
- 4 Bosc pears
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 cup cranberry juice
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6-8 cloves
Preheat oven to 400. Cut a thin slice off the bottom of each pear to help keep them standing upright in a baking dish. Pour fruit juice into the pan. Add cinnamon sticks and cloves. Roast the pears, basting every 15 minutes, until tender, brown and puckered. Remove the pears and place on a serving plate. Pour remaining liquid into a small sauce pan, bring to high heat, and reduce by half. Drizzle that liquid on top of the pears.
Weight Loss And Natural Food
One thing that is important when starting to do more home cooking is to shop for organic food or at the least local. Selecting fruit that is on sale means cost savings. Weight loss is not only arriving at your ideal healthy weight, it’s keeping it off. Baked pears or apples is a healthy dessert option.
Fruit contains a sugar called fructose. When we eat sugars from glucose along with fructose, we cannot digestion either and they become somewhat toxic to our bodies. This can result in inflammation, weight gain, and joint pain.
Eating fruit sugar alone is easily digestible and your body needs the nutrients and fiber. Fruit digests quickly. When eaten with meat protein, grains, or carbohydrates it’s hard to absorb the nutrients. It is best to consume foods such as pears, or apples 30 minutes before other foods or one hour after eating a meal.
Choosing to empower yourself through lifestyle such as eating well can add years of healthy living to your life.
images: Google free to use and share rights