Are there ways to promote brain health other than taking a vitamin? Food has some of the most powerful abilities to help you avoid `This is my top eight nutrients for brain health.
There are a lot of different kinds of illness that can affect the brain. As we age however this population is unique because there are so many of us and never before has there been so much mental decline. Alzheimer’s is but one cognitive disease.
How To Avoid Alzheimer’s
Check out my favorites and incorporate them into your diet. Remember organic and non-GMO is always best, locally growth is great, and fresh is good. Avoid packaged food and frozen foods.
1. Sprouted grains are great. They provide energy for brains, but we don’t want to eat too much. Some great ideas are sprouted out quinoa or brown rice. I recommend staying away from pasta, or regular rice is both are starchy foods. The brain does not like starchy foods.
2. Make sure you’re getting your Omega’s. Omega-3’s have a crucial role in brain functioning and Alzheimer’s . To get enough from food sources like salmon, trout, herring, or sardines you’d have to eat a lot of fish. I recommend a hearty supplement that contains omega-3’s, 6, 7, and 9.
The Power Of Nutrition
3. One of the most important nutrients in the top 8 nutrients for brain health is vitamin E. According to the American Journal of Epidemiology, vitamin D plays a role in delaying cognitive decline. He is plentiful and most nuts, leafy green vegetables, asparagus, olives, seeds, and eggs.
4. Blueberries and other berries support a healthy brain. They are especially rich in a protective compound called anthocyanins according to Tufts University. Blueberries and blackberries have been found to be effective in improving memory and delaying short-term memory loss.
According to Tufts University, July 2015 issue of Ask Tufts Experts, Do blackberries have similar brain benefits from polyphenols as seen in blueberries? The answer is yes. Health find goes on to say that blueberries are also packed with vitamin C K and manganese. The Atlantic goes on to say that blackberries and other berries provide great protection against Alzheimer’s as well as other age-related memory loss and types of cognitive decline.
5. Vitamin K or potassium hit the list of top 8 nutrients for brain health and Alzheimer’s. Vitamin K is a powerful brain power booster and enhancer of cognitive function. To get more eat broccoli and berries. Rich in compounds called glucosinolates vitamin K helps neurotransmitter processes which keep the brain and memory sharp. Neurotransmitters continue to grow and form our entire lives. They actually form in neural networks according to our beliefs and thought patterns. When we talk about changing our lives and changing how we believe we have to lay down new neurotransmitter pathways. To do this, we have to have a healthy brain, to begin with.
How Important Is Sleep?
6. To me this should be at the start of the top 8 nutrients for brain health list, it’s a good night sleep. Our body needs 7 to 8 hours, and so does our mind. When we sleep, it should be relaxing yet dream filled. If your dreams are troubled, you toss and turn a good night sleep may not be happening for you. Taking time to discover if this is stress related, pain related, or function of our brain is important.
7. Vitamin C is a nutrient that seems to be good for everything. It is also good for the brain and protects against degeneration, and there’s a long history of its use. We know citrus fruits have vitiamin C, did you know it’s also in red peppers and broccoli as well.
8. Something hitting the news and it’s not a trend, is Turmeric. Turmeric is wonderful for many things including being a powerful anti-inflammatory. Many people are rushing to the store to buy Turmeric, and it may not even be the quality you need. It should be a unique blend that usually is found only from a prescription level at your naturopath or acupuncturist office.
Top 8 Nutrients For Brain Health
So how do you get all these great nutrients into your diet daily? My favorite way is a fruit smoothie. Now I don’t put protein powders or honey in mine. I find the fruit has enough sweetness but you can add a few drops of your favorite Stevia if you like. Stevia comes in flavors, and you can use the liquid form which isn’t processed.
Brain Health Daily
By mixing the berries together with some Kiefer or yogurt, you have a simple smoothie. Throw in some broccoli with your lunch or dinner. Make sure you go to bed and get the rest needed. Start your day with meditation or journal for a few minutes. This is a calm, relaxing state. Center your mind around positive things you see coming your way this day. Even on our worst days, our cloudy days we can begin with a fresh outlook. This is your day for a healthy body and a healthy mind. This is my list of the top 8 nutrients for brain health and to help you avoid Alzheimer’s.
If you’re trying to live healthy think about finding out more about how working with an online health coach. Get your free consult today.
I believe healers remember their first patient. “Michelle” had migraines and I had migraines. After many medical doctors and drugs, she wanted to try something new. I was new and different because I do acupuncture and at that time, few people had heard of it. Acupuncture for migraines is an ancient remedy in Chinese Medicine.
Acupuncture For Migraines A Positive Move
Michelle came in excited at the idea she might be able to stop using prescription drugs. I, on the other hand, was nervous! After all, she was my first patient outside of my internship. She didn’t mind coming to my home it felt cozy she said.
It’s hard to believe that was over 20 years ago and today still, my favorite thing to help people with is migraines. Michelle’s migraine success still makes me smile. She didn’t do anything hard. She just used homeopathy, with acupuncture for migraines.
The first thing I notice was the heavy perfume. Michelle didn’t smell it as it wafted around her. On inquiry I discover she had migraines almost daily she told me as I gagged on the heavy scent of vanilla.
As we continued to talk, I found out she loved Victoria Secret and the Bath and Beauty stores at the mall. She had matching garments and matching body lotions for each set of clothing. Interestingly she loved the yellow color pairing it with Vanilla body lotion.
How Migraines and Chinese Medicine Work Together
Yellow is a color we associate with nourishment, support, and digestion in homeopathy. It also is the color in Chinese medicine for the Spleen and Stomach organs that also mean these things. Michelle had matching sets of yellow paired with Vanilla for 4 to 5 days a week.
As we dug deeper, Michelle was overwhelmed too. She was taking care of everyone else. She was the nourisher of her family a typical Spleen personality. Her husband worked long hours, she had to deal with four small kids alone and didn’t feel she had much support. She wanted to make his life as comfortable as possible and wanted to be attractive to her husband. These special gifts made her feel good – plain and simple.
Then the big question, “Have you noticed that your migraines happen on a particular color day?” “Often we know the answer. We sense it, feel it in our gut.
There was an enormous silence. She looked at her hands, then fidgeted her feet a bit. “Ah, maybe on the days I wear yellow?” she said.
Remember I was the nervous one now Michelle seemed uneasy but continued. “I worry a lot. My mom got fat after having kids so I don’t eat a lot. My husband didn’t seem to notice me even though I haven’t put on the weight until I started wearing these attractive undergarments. Now, well I feel appreciated sometimes.”
Homeopathy Along With Acupuncture Can Be Key
Worry and fear are emotions homeopathy and acupuncturists see with migraines due to Spleen and Stomach energy imbalances. Vanilla, a typical base scent in many perfumes and body lotions, triggers migraines for many users or family.
Michelle wasn’t eating enough, she also likely had an allergy to perfumes very common in migraine patients. These are not good things when we think acupuncture and migraines.
It took a few weeks but she stopped using vanilla scented products and we began moving healthy foods into her diet. Her headaches nearly stopped. We did acupuncture twice monthly once we were able to uncover a hormonal imbalance beneath the other problems.
My Inner Health Coach Enters The Picture
Now came the hard part. Talking about her mindset or what I like to call your personal spiritual journey. She worried a lot. Michelle had a story around her childhood and now she was repeating it as an adult.
We dug deep into some beliefs around her role as a mother, wife, and woman. Doing the style of treatment, I practice there is an element of looking at how our attitudes and beliefs interfere with our healing or aid our health.
It turned out Michelle obsessed over how to please others. The stress of trying to be perfect was adding to her migraines. She spent more time focusing on others over what made her happy. A cycle learned as many women from other women in our lives. She set up some special events, weekly personal times and other ideas Michelle came up with to nourish herself.
Within a year, Michelle was headache free. She was happier than she’d been in over a decade. She enjoyed more time with her husband and felt like a better mother. Was it acupuncture, was it the homeopathy or Chinese Medicine? Maybe it was the health coaching It was all of these and her desire to grow.
Health coaches spend a majority of their time working with people in this area as do acupuncturists. This is why some people who are terribly sick get well while those who should heal quickly linger. Belief systems play a significant role in health and wellness. It’s why cancer patients with a healthy outlook on life usually overcome their disease against odds, not in their favor.
Acupuncture isn’t a placebo, though. Our minds are powerful and can override the effects of illness and opposition in our reality. Examples of mental strength abound in stories of people living through battles or war.
3 Quick Questions To Ask Yourself
- Do I take time for myself and my health?
- Do I focus more on pleasing or helping others forgetting that I have to first care for me to be there for them?
- Am I happy most the day living in the moment or do I dwell on yesterday or worry?
Acupuncture, homeopathy, and health coaching are a smart way to balance your life and health. They can help you have more health and happiness. It can help you show up in life for the ones you love in a better way too that set an example of confidence and joy.
images copyrights – Bigstock and Dreamstime
Names of our patients are changed to protect them and their families.
Self-care is a growing in popularity across the globe. Health and self-care are becoming a priority in many lives. In China, lifestyle value is now no. 1. In France, 71% of the population says taking care of yourself is the key to happiness.
In the early 1900’s before canned goods, fast foods, and GMO’s getting enough fresh air, clean water, and medicine were important; but this isn’t a history lesson even so it’s fun to watch PBS shows like Downton Abbey to get a glance at the past. Today we must consciously focus on our health.
What Does Taking Care Of Yourself Mean To You?
Are you taking care of yourself? I only ask the question because I believe it can mean different things to different people. What does it mean to you? One client says that it means not eating fast food or drinking pop. Another client researched eating vegan and slowly moved in that direction. Today she has reached her goal in weight loss. Taking better care of oneself is individual to you. Taking care of yourself mentally also is important.
Our health is personal. We think about it more when we feel sick or have pain. Looking in the mirror unhappy at your image wishing you weigh twenty pounds less are both emotional and physical. Being an acupuncturist and certified health coach part of my job is talking about self care ideas with you if you want.
Einstein believed our health affected everything and that our mind or emotions controlled our health. Health coaches believe this too. You might be struggling to sleep knowing how to stop the endless runaway thoughts might help. If it’s hot flashes, back pain, or one of the other millions of things that interfere with weight, sleep, or happiness you’ll benefit from these home ideas.
Acupuncture Fits Into Wellness
- Whether it’s problems sleeping or weight, food really is medicine or poison. The question is which is it in your life? Knowing what kind of eating habits work for you and which foods enhance your wellness is the first place to begin feeling better.
One way to do this is to keep a food journal for 3 to 5 days. Eat normally. Watch which days after each meal you feel your best or worse. This includes pain. Here is how it works. Some foods increase inflammation and fluid retention. These symptoms in turn create pain. Others foods create gas, bloating, even sleepless nights. I am not talking only about caffeine. Many people have difficult nights if they eat too late.
- Are you exercising? Maybe it’s too late at night or too much or heavy. Perhaps you’re doing everything right; how do you know. Feeling overwhelmed yet?
Don’t be – walking daily or most days can help the pain, reduce weight, and help you sleep. It’s hard to get walking wrong. Start easy. Working out heavy within 2-3 hours of bedtime can keep you awake; even cause pain that wakes you in the middle of the night. It’s about muscle contraction if you don’t cool down and stretch correctly restless leg is a real possibility.
By the way, too little exercise does mean problems. The solution take a walk daily or as often as you can.
- Acupuncture helps, it does. For centuries people considered acupuncture a solo therapy along with herbal medicine along with diet and fitness. They improved quickly without physical therapy. We overdo it sometimes with modern medicine.
Not all acupuncture though is equal. Using emotional style acupuncture helps with insomnia, stress, and anxiety. We couple that with muscle meridian acupuncture for pain, tight muscles, and other physical problems. Being skilled in multiple styles means better care for you period.
As an acupuncturist, one of the most exciting and challenging therapies is using acupuncture for weight loss or fertility. It is also very rewarding. When you help someone fit into a smaller size outfit and feel more confidence, and happier it’s a great day. When a patient calls you sharing that they’re pregnant, it’s a day to celebrate.
When Acupuncture Doesn’t Fit Into Self Care
I don’t believe acupuncture fits every health problem. Some people can’t get to an acupuncturist so we make do with what we have locally.
I had a patient in North Carolina who the nearest acupuncturist was 3 hours away. We used the first two steps. Most important for Jerry was his mindset and determination to succeed. His problems centered on a recent divorce. Weighing nearly 25 pounds more than healthy, having pain, not able to sleep he added in virtual health coaching instead of acupuncture.
Taking care of yourself takes is personal. Start with small steps. Seek help when you can and know every change toward a healthier you is a step in the right direction.
Nielsen study, 2014
Images purchased: DreamsTime