There are a lot of different kinds of illness that can affect the brain. As we age however this population is unique because there are so many of us and never before has there been so much mental decline. Alzheimer’s is but one cognitive disease.
How To Avoid Alzheimer’s
Check out my favorites and incorporate them into your diet. Remember organic and non-GMO is always best, locally growth is great, and fresh is good. Avoid packaged food and frozen foods.
1. Sprouted grains are great. They provide energy for brains, but we don’t want to eat too much. Some great ideas are sprouted out quinoa or brown rice. I recommend staying away from pasta, or regular rice is both are starchy foods. The brain does not like starchy foods.
2. Make sure you’re getting your Omega’s. Omega-3’s have a crucial role in brain functioning and Alzheimer’s . To get enough from food sources like salmon, trout, herring, or sardines you’d have to eat a lot of fish. I recommend a hearty supplement that contains omega-3’s, 6, 7, and 9.
The Power Of Nutrition
3. One of the most important nutrients in the top 8 nutrients for brain health is vitamin E. According to the American Journal of Epidemiology, vitamin D plays a role in delaying cognitive decline. He is plentiful and most nuts, leafy green vegetables, asparagus, olives, seeds, and eggs.
4. Blueberries and other berries support a healthy brain. They are especially rich in a protective compound called anthocyanins according to Tufts University. Blueberries and blackberries have been found to be effective in improving memory and delaying short-term memory loss.
According to Tufts University, July 2015 issue of Ask Tufts Experts, Do blackberries have similar brain benefits from polyphenols as seen in blueberries? The answer is yes. Health find goes on to say that blueberries are also packed with vitamin C K and manganese. The Atlantic goes on to say that blackberries and other berries provide great protection against Alzheimer’s as well as other age-related memory loss and types of cognitive decline.
5. Vitamin K or potassium hit the list of top 8 nutrients for brain health and Alzheimer’s. Vitamin K is a powerful brain power booster and enhancer of cognitive function. To get more eat broccoli and berries. Rich in compounds called glucosinolates vitamin K helps neurotransmitter processes which keep the brain and memory sharp. Neurotransmitters continue to grow and form our entire lives. They actually form in neural networks according to our beliefs and thought patterns. When we talk about changing our lives and changing how we believe we have to lay down new neurotransmitter pathways. To do this, we have to have a healthy brain, to begin with.
How Important Is Sleep?
6. To me this should be at the start of the top 8 nutrients for brain health list, it’s a good night sleep. Our body needs 7 to 8 hours, and so does our mind. When we sleep, it should be relaxing yet dream filled. If your dreams are troubled, you toss and turn a good night sleep may not be happening for you. Taking time to discover if this is stress related, pain related, or function of our brain is important.
7. Vitamin C is a nutrient that seems to be good for everything. It is also good for the brain and protects against degeneration, and there’s a long history of its use. We know citrus fruits have vitiamin C, did you know it’s also in red peppers and broccoli as well.
8. Something hitting the news and it’s not a trend, is Turmeric. Turmeric is wonderful for many things including being a powerful anti-inflammatory. Many people are rushing to the store to buy Turmeric, and it may not even be the quality you need. It should be a unique blend that usually is found only from a prescription level at your naturopath or acupuncturist office.
Top 8 Nutrients For Brain Health
So how do you get all these great nutrients into your diet daily? My favorite way is a fruit smoothie. Now I don’t put protein powders or honey in mine. I find the fruit has enough sweetness but you can add a few drops of your favorite Stevia if you like. Stevia comes in flavors, and you can use the liquid form which isn’t processed.
Brain Health Daily
By mixing the berries together with some Kiefer or yogurt, you have a simple smoothie. Throw in some broccoli with your lunch or dinner. Make sure you go to bed and get the rest needed. Start your day with meditation or journal for a few minutes. This is a calm, relaxing state. Center your mind around positive things you see coming your way this day. Even on our worst days, our cloudy days we can begin with a fresh outlook. This is your day for a healthy body and a healthy mind. This is my list of the top 8 nutrients for brain health and to help you avoid Alzheimer’s.
If you’re trying to live healthy think about finding out more about how working with an online health coach. Get your free consult today.