What is Functional Medicine And Why Do You Need It?
What is Functional Medicine? It’s an alternative approach to western medicine using, supplements, fitness, natural therapies, and Mind-Body medicine to keep you as well as possible. Keep reading there’s a lot more.
Why Do You Need It?
Don’t you want to be healthy and live a happy, long life? Because Functional Medicine is a patient-centered science-based approach, it focuses on you. It also focuses on the cure or root of your illness instead of what drug to give you.
What is Functional Medicine?
Functional Medicine [FM] has been around for decades. Until recently when medical doctors decided it was valid, it was simply called natural medicine. Western doctors seldom deliver when providing FM is the patient-centered longer visit times. When you are ‘partnered’ with your clinician, your health is better. Most health insurance doesn’t allow western doctors to spend longer times with patients.
No so with an alternative specialist. Your visit with us will take longer because that is the nature of our training. Health insurance allows us to spend time with our clients.
A Functional medicine practitioner will spend time with their patients. We listen to your health history. We look for interactions between genetics, environment, and lifestyle.
How Is Functional Medicine Different?
- Patient-Centered Care. It focuses on your goals. This helps you create realistic, healthy, outcomes to your wellness. The objective is wellness or illness care. It’s listening to you and helping you be your healthiest.
- Science-Based Health Care. For centuries, natural medicine, now referred to as Functional Medicine has looked at the root cause of disease. It’s called looking up-stream. We look at the patient’s history, physiology, and lifestyle. This guides us to what lead to illness. Then how to integrate the natural approaches best to achieve wellness.
- Integrative Approach To Health Care. Whether the patient currently is experiencing a health problem or disease, integrative therapy is part of sound Functional Medicine. Prevention and healing through nutrition, diet, exercise are all part of FM.Functional medicine also uses the latest laboratory testing and other diagnostic techniques. Prescribed are botanical medicines, supplements, acupuncture, natural allergy elimination, therapeutic diets, lifestyle, and fitness — also detoxification programs and stress-management techniques
Why Is Functional Medicine Important?
- Our society is getting sicker. There’s a sharp rise in a disease like diabetes, cancer, chronic disease, heart disease, and mental illness. Autoimmune disorders including Arthritis are at the highest rate ever. No, it’s not an aging population. Those under 45 make up a large part of people affected by these illnesses.
- Current western medicine is oriented toward drugs or surgery to fix the problem. Drugs are used to cover up the symptoms not cure or slow the progress of the illness. In many cases, they harm. Primetime commercials are proof.Surgery is permanent. It should be a last resort, not the end all. Knee surgery, for example, lasts about ten years then you get to do it again!
- There’s a huge gap between the latest research and the way doctor’ practice medicine. Many still believe in low-fat diets while the research of the last 30 years shows your brain need cholesterol to function.
- Unfortunately, most physicians aren’t trained to do more than prescription drugs or surgery. Medical school doesn’t train professionals to look for the underlying cause of complex, chronic disease. There are only a few if any classes are training a medical doctor on nutrition, fitness, diet, or natural wellness.
What Is Functional Medicine And Why Do You Need It?
Functional medicine is your ticket to feeling better and improving your health. You need it because you deserve to live drug-free and without multiple surgeries whenever possible.